Rhode Island

Rhode Island law requires an LLC name to end with the words “Limited Liability Company” or the abbreviations “LLC”, “L.L.C.”. Upper or lower case abbreviations can also be used. You can reserve a name for up to 120 days by filing the reservation of Entity Name at the Rhode Island Secretary of State Corporations Division website (http://sos.ri.gov/business/filings/corporateforms/domesticlimited/).

The Articles of Organization must be filed with the Secretary of State, this is how a Rhode Island LLC is formed. The articles must include details about the LLC’s name and address; the LLC’s federal tax policy; the name and address of the LLC’s registered agent, the name and address of each organizer of the LLC; and whether it will be managed by a member or manager.

Get Started

What is an LLC?

LLC refers to a Limited Liability Company, and it is organized by business owners. They have fewer corporate formalities and can be taxed by the IRS as a sole proprietorship, S corporation, or C corporation.

Each state has different requirements and regulations regarding the formation of an LLC. Business owners should check with state laws when considering forming an LLC.

Owners of LLCs are known as members, they can be individuals, corporations, other LLCs, or foreign entities. There is no limit on the number of members an LLC can have. In most states, “single-member” LLCs are allowed, where there is only one owner involved in managing the LLC.

The IRS will treat the LLC as a corporation, partnership, or included in the LLC owners personal tax return. A domestic LLC with at least two members is classified as a partnership for federal income tax purposes unless they file Form 8832 and elect to be treated as a corporation.

LLCs carry tax advantages over other forms of business such as limited partnerships. The owners of an LLC do not assume personal liability for business debt, and any losses of the LLC can be used as tax deductions against active income.

An LLC can be formed through the state business formation process or consulting with LegalZoom.

Get Started

Comments for this post are closed.